Accion Latina is a non-profit organization that promotes cultural arts, community media, and civic engagement as a way of building healthy and empowered Latino communities. Our organization’s cornerstone media program is El Tecolote newspaper which began as a journalism project in a Raza Studies class at San Francisco State University’s newly created College of Ethnic Studies under the direction of Professor Juan Gonzales in 1970.
Next year, El Tecolote will be celebrating its 50th anniversary as the longest-running Spanish bilingual newspaper in the American Southwest! Audiences have turned to El Tecolote to see themselves and to learn about their communities. With the momentum of El Tecolote’s milestone celebration, we seek to expand our audience both in print and online. We also want to strengthen our serving capacity as a multimedia training ground for scores of Latino journalism professionals, thereby diversifying the media sector. This is more urgent now in a climate of “fake news” and propaganda through social media channels where audiences are increasingly getting their information. It is vital for us to keep our communities informed in their own language by local trusted messengers like El Tecolote.
Through El Tecolote (The Owl), we inform and empower San Francisco Bay Area Latino communities with local and international issues that affect their lives. Biweekly, we publish 10,000 print copies of El Tecolote and distribute them to more than 350 locations throughout the Bay Area, resulting in the circulation of a quarter-million issues each year.
We Need Your Help
As a volunteer-based organization, we’re calling on your support to help us:
- Celebrate. We have persevered and constantly improved the excellence of our Latino led publication for five decades.
- Grow. If we can attract a wider audience through multimedia storytelling (podcasts, videos, photo essays), for the same reasons people rely on us for print, we will get closer to accomplishing our objectives.
- Sustain. We would like to create a fund to strengthen our infrastructure and maintain our organizational stability.
- Invest. Accion Latina seeks to ensure that El Tecolote will be published for another 50 years sparking media careers and empowering Latinos for years to come.
Other ways people to support El Tecolote
- Share this fundraiser campaign with your friends on social media
- Go vote for our Sage and Hilda’s #MyGivingStory so El Tecolote can win $10,000
- Subscribe to El Tecolote for the upcoming year
- Keep up with us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
Georgi & David de la Torre
Back to menú