Accion Latina is a non-profit organization that promotes cultural arts, community media, and civic engagement
as a way of building healthy and empowered Latino communities. Our organization’s cornerstone media
project is El Tecolote newspaper which began as a journalism project in a Raza Studies class at San Francisco State University’s newly created College of Ethnic Studies under the direction of Professor Juan Gonzales in 1970. This August El Tecolote will be celebrating its 50th anniversary as the longest running Spanish bilingual newspaper in the American Southwest!
Audiences have turned to El Tecolote to see themselves and to learn about their communities for five decades. As we see Latinos being disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, our response is to provide the most accurate, up-to-date and relevant information in the clearest way possible in their own language. We’re actively working to double our serving capacity by launching a digital newsletter, exploring new partnerships and reaching audiences in a new way –– like the long awaited El Tecolote Podcast!
Despite Covid-19, we are resolute to grow and use the momentum of El Tecolote’s milestone 50th celebration to strengthen our digital multimedia capacity and expand our audience and membership online.
We seek to be a multimedia training ground for scores of ambitious, budding Latinx journalism professionals, thereby diversifying the media sector. This is more urgent now in a climate of very harmful misinformation that has permeated mainstream news, and particularly social media –where audiences increasingly access vital information.
We Need Your Help
As a volunteer-based organization, we’re calling on your support to help us:
- Celebrate. We are a resilient award-winning Latino led organization that has worked hard to deliver a quality bilingual news publication and earn the trust of our readers for the last five decades!
- Grow. If we can attract a wider audience through multimedia storytelling (podcasts, videos, photo essays), for the same reasons people rely on us for print, we will get closer to accomplishing our objectives.
- Sustain. We would like to create a fund to strengthen our infrastructure and maintain our organizational stability.
- Invest. Accion Latina seeks to ensure that El Tecolote will be published for another 50 years sparking media careers and empowering Latinos for years to come.
Other ways people to support El Tecolote
- Share this fundraiser campaign with your friends on social media
- Keep up with us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
Back to menú
Hilda and Davian
Rene Pena Govea
Laura Inez & J Manuel
Madeleine & José Luis
Georgi and David de la Torre
Georgi & David de la Torre
Casey Nicole Ticsay
Back to menú