Violence against women can take on many forms. Weather we are talking about rape, sexual assault, domestic violence, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual harassment, forced prostitution, human trafficking, street violence, or State violence we all need to continue to join arms and shoulders to make sure that women and girls live in a world free of violence.
Your donation will support our Nuevo Amanecer/New Dawn anti-domestic violence program to continue with its advocacy and direct service efforts. Founded in 1998, it is a coordinated and comprehensive domestic violence program with the mission and vision to empower Latina women who are being battered, abused, and unable to take control of their situation and end violence in their lives.
Our goals are that within a culturally and linguistically sensitive context, Nuevo Amanecer will:
- Ensure that the cycle of domestic violence is broken through prevention, education, advocacy, finding alternatives to violence for children and adolescents and by providing opportunities to learn new and healthier ways of communication between parents and children and
- Create a confidential space to serve more effectively and efficiently battered women and their children in the Washington Heights/Inwood communities of Manhattan and other NYC communities.
Your contribution will help us to:
- Promote awareness and create consciousness about the issue of domestic violence and the resources that are available within the Latina/o community of Washington Heights/Inwood community and greater NYC area
- Offer individual advocacy through the criminal justice system
- Offer individual counseling
- Provide 24 hrs. Hotline crisis intervention.
- Offer ongoing support group
- Make appropriate referrals to legal services
- Continue to provide community outreach and education
- Establish new linkage agreements with other community entities that serve the target population.
- Recruit and utilize former and active participants as support group leaders, liaisons, and in other appropriate positions where their personal experience will be of the greatest benefit.
About our organization:
Established in 1988, the Dominican Women’s Development Center (DWDC)’s mission is to empower all women and communities to advance gender equality and social justice. The DWDC bases its programs and events on the understanding that women are affected by the forces of racism, sexism, classism and other forms of oppression simultaneously, all of which touch their lives in a variety of ways, including domestic and other forms of violence (such as sexual assault, sexual harassment, incest, and human trafficking), inadequate access to quality education, healthcare, employment, mental health services, substance abuse rehabilitation programs, among others. DWDC was created based on the recognition of these issues and is committed to addressing them through advocacy, direct programming, special events, and continued staff development activities.
If you are not able to make a HIPGive donation, please help us to spread the word by asking families and friends to donate here and/or to also make donations on Facebook on #GivingTuesday. Beginning at 8:00 am on Tuesday, December 3rd Facebook will match donations dollar per dollar up to $100,000 per organization on a first come first serve basis through this link: https://www.facebook.com/donate/571968893370182/?fundraiser_source=external_url