During the 2020 uncertain times, Innovando la Tradición has been asking many questions about what makes us human and how to proceed in these distopian times. For us it is clear that we are in a crossroad as a civilization: Mother Nature is asking from us to change our means, tools and goals.
Modern life has been based in the rationality of maximazing profit rate of every human activity. Capitalism only invests in activities that will give profitable return, as quickly as possible, to acumulate capital in a small group of individuals.
For the last 500 years, humanity has concentrated its efforts on increasing capital and, for the most part, has forgotten of investing in life nor in Mother Nature. Today, Today, it is clear that it’s very possible that humans disappear from this planet in a suicide attempt to continue operating according to what we call “normal”. And when we say “Mother Nature” we should not take that methaporically. We ARE the result of evolution of life on planet Earth. We are literally sons and daugthers of the process of evoultion of life.
Since our foundation in 2009 we have been investing in life; on indigenous life style, in the communal thinking and respect for Mother Nature to ensure that traditional pottery of Oaxaca can continue another 4,000 years, and reach places never seen before!
Continue building the future of humanity with us! The artisans are leading! They have generations of advantage living in community, respecting nature and offering tools to modern world that we have failed to listen deeply.
Help us achieve our campagin!
At this crossroad, Innovando la Tradición, is investing on:
- Third Chapter of the Learning Community of Potters
An artisan-to-artisan trainning program. A space to develop powerful leaders in their communities to preserve and transmit their vision and the deep cultural knowledge they have, for 8 months with 30 artisans. We are envisioning that in a near future these artisans will be the Master Professors at The Potters University
Reinforcing with activities, such as:
- Third chapter of the Learning Community. Thirty artisans of 3 States and 7 different villages.
- Pilot of Learning Community of Young Potters. Fifteen kids, from 12 to 23 years old, from 5 different villages.
- The House of Knowledge, a network of spaces to promote the 70 pottery towns of Oaxaca, through residences, research, experimentation and sale of products. These spaces will house the mud collections and research of Innovando la Tradición.
This year, we will be participating in the Barro and Fuego Exhibition at Museo de Historia Mexicana, at the prestigious Three Museum Complex at Monterrey, Nuevo León, México.
- Consolidate process of the 1050• Cooperative and continue to expand sales, which is made up of potters and the marketing arm that places the clay in new markets around the world, making its beauty and wisdom accessible to more people, supported by commercial processes solidary.
- Strengthen the operating platform of Innovando la Tradición A.C.
Covering the Direction of Operations and Coordination of the Learning Community; to close the gap between daily operation and strategic direction.
There is a global campaign to raise $ 175K USD. This site was built to make it easy for our community of friends in United States to make tax deductible gifts in their country where we are seeking to raise $ 100 K USD of the global goal.
Why is it important to support us?
Mexico is at a crucial moment to recognize, appreciate and promote its deep wealth in the world, in a large percentage of communities we are facing the last generation of potters who safeguard the knowledge of the traditional world through mud.
About Innovando la Tradición A.C.
We have worked for 14 years in the state of Oaxaca building bridges between the world of traditional and indigenous pottery and the modern urban world, positioning clay in a more visible, novel and appreciated place.
In 2005 we started working with a pottery family and in 2019 we supported artisans in 14 villages and moved more than 17 thousand clay pieces to 5 continents.
We raise the cultural and economic value of traditional pottery to achieve a more dignified life for artisans and prevent this age-old wisdom from being lost, through making local knowledge visible, putting artisans at the center of our decisions and using strategies of fair trade.
Join our community of angel donors and become a member of the Huaje Valley Network Since 2016 we created the Huaje Valley Network, a group of visionaries from around the world that are supporting us with donations annually to overcome the challenges we face in the construction of the 4 Movements.
Members of the Huaje Valley Network will participate by:
- Becoming a Jaguar, Eagle, Deer or Rabbit Connecting others and strengthening the network
- Attending one of our launch events or our yearly trip to Oaxaca designed to help you learn more about what your support makes possible.
- Opening doors to potential partners and foundations in the US and Mexico
- Bringing to life our three big ideas
Join our Huajes Valley Network as one of the four dwellers of the Valley:
- Jaguar – $25,000 USD
- Eagle – $10,000 USD
- Deer – $5,000 USD
- Rabbit – $1,000 USD
We hope to count on you!
“The first thing we have to do is make sure the ceramics do not get lost, join as a group. Alone … we can not achieve anything “
– Amando Pedro, Artisan of San Bartolo Coyotepec.
“The mud a gift that we carry in our blood and we have to transmit it to the new generations”.
-Amalia Cruz, Artisan of San Marcos Tlapazola
Back to menú